Monday, June 23, 2014

Wow I Suck!

So it's been a long while (like 6 months) since I've posted anything, mostly cause I've been way too busy, so here's a horribly long update for those who are curious....


Law School

Well, Spring was a little easier than Fall was, overall I did OK and am happy with the results (some classes more than others, but dang there are some smart people there). I have come to the conclusion that the less I feel like I know about the subject, the better I will do on the exam. I don't really know why this is, but my best grades have all been in classes where I sat down for the exam and thought for sure someone was going to come tell me I was in the wrong room, the ones I was more prepared for, well I didn't do quite as well. 

I'm taking Evidence and Legal Profession (ethics) for summer classes because I hate myself and don't think it's a good idea for me to get any kind of actual rest, well that and because I need both those classes to participate in clinics (at least ones where I'll maybe get to represent an actual client), and I signed up for a criminal defense clinic next fall (woot!). 

So far about the only thing I'm almost 100% positive of when it comes to law school is I don't want to do torts (plaintiff's side) cause I would tell far too many potential clients to quit whining like a baby and suck it up (unfortunately this is the same advice I usually give myself after some horrific injury, like slicing my finger open). Well that's not the only area of law I'm shying away from thanks to my summer "job".

Summer "Job"

So I was lucky enough to get an externship/internship (I have no idea what the difference is, I just know you don't get paid) with a Family Court Judge in Maricopa County (You know, where "Sheriff Joe" is the boss). In county court there are four different types of courts, Criminal (you know like Law & Order), Civil (think Suits), Juvenile (It's like criminal, but for kids - they also handle "dependency" cases; like when child services takes your kids away cause you're not doing a very good job), and finally, Family Court (Divorce/Custody stuff). In the other three there are lots of lawyers, fewer Pro Se (representing yourself) litigants, and a variety of issues. In Family court more than 1/2 are Pro Se (and frankly most of the ones who have lawyers don't have very good ones), the issues are not nearly as wide, and there is nowhere near the sophistication that the other courts see. It's really not all that different from what you see on Divorce Court..

I only say "job" cause I don't get paid, but I'm really not complaining about that. I've learned an absolute ton. Primarily I've seen a lot of what you should/should not do in court (IE arguing with the judge = dumb). While mostly what I've seen has been in family court, today I had a chance to see how it's done in Criminal court. Overall I think I've got more interest in practicing there, but there was definitely a higher level of professionalism overall, and the stories were a little more interesting.

Overall that's enough for tonight. Will try to do this again soon. 

No comments:

Post a Comment